From my journal, 8/1/17:
I forgot to verify my CampNaNoWriMo win…and I’m really not that upset by that fact.
The reason I didn’t remember is that I was busy – at the farmer’s market, and doing my revisions for the Dark and Bitter anthology.
The fact that I’m not upset – that I don’t need it to “count” to know I wrote the words – is growth. Once before, I didn’t get verified because I couldn’t find the button on a new format. I was very upset that “everyone” wouldn’t be able to see that I’d “won CampNaNo.”
But it’s not about the “winning” anymore. It’s about the “wording.”
How do you feel when you don’t get credit for an accomplishment?
- CampNoWriMo: Write 66,666 words (average 2,151/day) of Still Nameless (Kifo Island #8). Final count: 68,280/66,666 words. Primary goal COMPLETED!
- Blogposts: Write new material at least 2 hours/week. Continue on with series in progress/JuNoWriMo words. Secondary goal; solid progress despite a very busy and emotionally charged month.
- Still Nameless (Kifo Island #8):Use a hybrid form of The Writer’s Coloring Book and The Story Toolkit to finish plotting this novel. 21,064 plotting words; Antagonist #1 in progress; Step 5/22 (TST). Decided to move on with plotting as/if needed; or during (eventual) revision process if it isn’t. Primary goal; some progress before I set it aside.
- Plot/outline blog posts as needed to complete the drafting goal above. This got lost in the busy-ness of the month fairly early on. Secondary goal; some progress.
- Play with fan fiction as desired; because Trip and T’Pol say so. A snippet each week for WIPpet Wednesday, and three scenes revised, placed in a chapter, and posted to my fanfiction.net story-in-progress, Arachnid Nebula. Stretch goal COMPLETED!
Holly Lisle’s How to Revise Your Novel: Spend 3 hours/week revising “On Any Tuesday Night.” Start once Still Nameless Act One Beat Sheet is complete. Primary goal; no progress. Back-burnered; there wasn’t enough month to give this the attention it deserves.
Blogposts: Revise JuNoWriMo blogposts one hour each week. Secondary goal; back-burnered.
Sea Changes (Kifo Island #1): Organize the manuscript – one of the cats dumped it a week or two ago. I sorted all the pages I have located while proctoring kids’ state-mandated standardized testing. Decided to reprint the remaining ones; mostly marked up for pre- How to Revise Your Novel editing. Stretch goal; good progress.
“Miss Spider and Mister Fly”: Complete any details/authorize copy edits needed for publication. Received the edits; read through, and simmered until the 31st, when I began serious revision pass. Primary goal; fair progress.
Read guidelines and sketch rough ideas for the two projects I’d like to submit this summer/fall. Secondary goal; back-burnered due to change of focus.
Explore Duotrope; compile list of 25 paying short story/novella markets. Stretch goal; back-burnered due to lack of time/attention available.
Blogging: Polish/package/schedule/publish relevant blogposts to return to restore/maintain regular blogging schedule for July. Blogging was hit-or-miss this month. I wrote over 50K words of blog draft material in June, but didn’t have the time to revise much of it in an extremely busy July. Primary goal; some progress.
Other Platforms: Post twice weekly to my Facebook Writer page, ; and once weekly to Instagram, and Pinterest. Complete Patreon profile and launch. Posted to Instagram each week; launched Patreon page on my birthday (July 29) . Writer page and Pinterest were more sporadic. Secondary goal; solid progress.
Continue in Twitter #writingcrew and #AllStarTrek sprints/chats regularly. Dabble in other social media (LinkedIn, Medium, Quora, Wattpad) if/as desired. Stretch goal COMPLETED!
Complete my writing business plan using this excellent article by Angela Ackerman as a guide. Step 4/7 in progress from June. Nothing new; I’ve decided to work through Prosperity for Writers (see below) before returning to the final steps of this process. Primary goal; back-burnered.
- Assist my Accomplice with his labeling/branding/platform/marketing (if this is scary for me; it’s completely alien to him). THIS is where much of my time/focus was this month! New Facebook page is here! Secondary goal COMPLETED!
Complete Gwen’s 30 Day Selfie Challenge. Did the first few days of the challenge, but only posted 2 or 3, then fell off completely during this crazy-full month. Stretch goal; a bit of progress.
Hometending: Spend 30 minutes at least 5x/week in mindful cleaning and/or yardtending; draft kids’ 2017-2018 IHIPs (Individualized Home Instruction Plans); complete testing submission and reporting; deal with subscriptions and other business that tends to get pushed aside. Some good progress.
Selftending: Spend time with my beloveds, friends, and myself; get at least one hour of physical activity 5x/week, and two hours of strenuous activity weekly (including Baby Steps to 5K); meditate and journal 8x/week. Solid progress; was close to meditation goals every week, and fair on the activity front.
Lifetending: Reading: Crank It Out (from June goals); 20K A Day; Prosperity for Writers. Audiobooks; The Upside of Your Dark Side (from June goals); and Practicing Mindfulness ; and The Star Trek Chronology Project Episodes 281: Redemption Part 1 290: A Matter of Time. PFW: 31%; working through exercises; may take longer than this month. STCP: 5/10 episodes; through Silicon Avatar. Great progress in an exceptionally laden month!
Paying It Forward: Finish back business for local crit group; and one chapter/week for Spellfire’s Kiss and Stained Blood. Did a little of all of these. Very modest progress.