It’s a brand-new month, and a brand-new year. I’m still in the process of nailing goals down, since I’ll be drawing them from my writing business plan, still in the creation process. So I’ll be posting those in the next day or two (by Wednesday’s update, for sure).
But, since I’ve been maintaining my twice-weekly update schedule even during the break, I’m here today to offer my July goals, and the progress I managed on July 1 (my personal cutoff for Sunday posts is progress through midnight Saturday).
For those new here, July is a particularly – emotional month for me. My daughter will be 13 on Saturday, and I will become the mom of two teens. Exciting! Three weeks after hers comes mine…
And, between, on July 13-25, the 12 days that encompassed the entire lifetime of our second child, Elijah James, who would be 14 this month, if he had lived.
I mention this because there may be some bittersweet moments on this blog in the coming weeks, and I’d rather not spring them on folks completely unaware.
Are there months in your life that carry a combination of emotional highs and lows?
- CampNoWriMo: Write 66,666 words (average 2,151/day) of Still Nameless (Kifo Island #8). 2,316/66,666 words. Primary goal; on target.
- Blogposts: Write new material at least 2 hours/week. Continue on with series in progress/JuNoWriMo words. Secondary goal.
- Still Nameless (Kifo Island #8):Use a hybrid form of The Writer’s Coloring Book and The Story Toolkit to finish plotting this novel. 18,891 plotting words; through Protagonist #2; Step 5/22 (TST); just need to do coloring materials for TWCB. Primary goal; solid progress.
- Plot/outline blog posts as needed to complete the drafting goal above. I have enough material in development to carry me through maybe a dozen or so additional posts. Secondary goal.
- Play with fan fiction as desired; because Trip and T’Pol say so. Stretch goal.
Holly Lisle’s How to Revise Your Novel: Spend 3 hours/week revising “On Any Tuesday Night.” Start once Still Nameless Act One Beat Sheet is complete. Primary goal.
Blogposts: Revise JuNoWriMo blogposts one hour each week. Secondary goal.
Sea Changes (Kifo Island #1): Organize the manuscript – one of the cats dumped it a week or two ago. Most of manuscript organized; missing some pages. Will look through piles, and reprint if I can’t find them. Stretch goal.
“Miss Spider and Mister Fly”: Complete any details/authorize copy edits needed for publication. Currently waiting to hear back from the copy editor; should be soon. Primary goal.
Read guidelines and sketch rough ideas for the two projects I’d like to submit this summer/fall. One is a novella length story (I think); the other a short story based in the Adirondacks, which I only have the first teasing glimmers of. Secondary goal.
Explore Duotrope; https://duotrope.com/ compile list of 25 paying short story/novella markets. This is pretty self-explanatory. I just want a source pool I can research in a couple of months, when the CCM winds down. Stretch goal.
Blogging: Polish/package/schedule/publish relevant blogposts to return to restore/maintain regular blogging schedule for July. Primary goal.
Continue in Twitter #writingcrew and #AllStarTrek sprints/chats regularly. Dabble in other social media (LinkedIn, Medium, Quora, Wattpad) if/as desired. Answered two or three questions on Quora; read more. Stretch goal; some progress.
Complete my writing business plan using this excellent article by Angela Ackerman as a guide. Step 4/7 in progress from June. Primary goal.
- Assist my Accomplice with his labeling/branding/platform/marketing (if this is scary for me; it’s completely alien to him). Added to Facebook Business Page; discussed posting, signage, and sales. Secondary goal; great progress.
Complete Gwen’s 30 Day Selfie Challenge. This is a means to an end; I’m learning to overcome early conditioning against admiring/ “bragging on” myself. It’s a simple challenge; take a selfie to a prompt, every day. Stretch goal.
Hometending: Spend 30 minutes at least 5x/week in mindful cleaning and/or yardtending; draft kids’ 2017-2018 IHIPs (Individualized Home Instructin Plans) and complete testing submission and reporting; deal with subscriptions and other business that tends to get pushed aside. Lise testing completed; Miah in progress.
Selftending: Spend time with my beloveds, friends, and myself; get at least one hour of physical activity 5x/week, and two hours of strenuous activity weekly (including Baby Steps to 5K); meditate and journal 8x/week. Meditation/journaling 1/8.
Crank It Out (from June goals); 20K A Day; Prosperity for Writers. Audiobooks; The Upside of Your Dark Side (from June goals); and Practicing Mindfulness; and The Star Trek Chronology Project Episodes 281: Redemption Part 1 – 290: A Matter of Time: Crank It Out: COMPLETED.