The ROW80 logo appears to be having kittens. So, instead, I bring you more blooms for the break!
It’s July 1 – so that means it’s time to wrap up my June goals, in preparation for setting my Round 3 and July goals.
I took a different tack on my goals this month. First, I set fewer goals for June. Next, I focused on only two major goals at a time, with a smattering of smaller goals for seasoning.
It worked well. On the whole, I accomplished more of my goals than I have in past rounds, and in a more targeted, purposeful direction. I didn’t get to submissions in June, but that should be less of an issue as July moves on. At the beginning of the month, I’ll be finishing up other June goals in progress.
But first, I take stock….
Do you do monthly assessments and reshaping of your goals?
- JuNoWriMo: Write 50,000 words of raw material for blog posts. 50,087/50,000 words! Primary goal COMPLETED!
- Play with fiction writing as/if desired. Did a snippet of new writing for next week’s upcoming WIPpet post; and a flash fiction story this week’s #SoCS post. Secondary goal COMPLETED!
- Still Nameless (Kifo Island #8):Use a hybrid form of The Writer’s Coloring Book and The Story Toolkit to plot this novel by June 30. Intial Concept Sheet in progress; 16,146 plotting words; Main Character #2: Serrah Reed Toolkit Main Character Pages in progress: Primary goal w/solid progress.
- JuNoWriMo: Plot/outline blog posts as needed to complete the drafting goal above. I have enough material in development to carry me through maybe a dozen or so additional posts. Secondary goal EXCEEDED!
Holly Lisle’s How to Revise Your Novel: Complete Lesson 3 (in progress; check beginning point) using “On Any Tuesday Night” as my WIP. Skim Lessons 4 and 5; make decision regarding how much I can reasonably take on, and set an endpoint for this month’s progress. Notes completed (82 pages; 21 scenes). Primary goal nearing completion.
Sea Changes (Kifo Island #1): Organize the manuscript – one of the cats dumped it a week or two ago – and move forward with the revisions as desired. Most of manuscript organized; missing some pages. Will look through piles, and reprint if I can’t find them. Secondary goal: solid progress.
Look at the #StoryADay critique group; choose one of my last two SN stories and submit for peer review. Take action as indicated to polish the story; share for #StoryFest. Revised and posted. I was a little less than two hours late submitting my link, but the form took me, so…Stretch goal COMPLETED!
Submitting: Untouched in June.
“Miss Spider and Mister Fly”: Complete any details/authorize copy edits needed for publication. Currently waiting to hear back from the copy editor; should be soon. Primary goal.
Read guidelines and sketch rough ideas for the two projects I’d like to submit this summer/fall. One is a novella length story (I think); the other a short story based in the Adirondacks, which I only have the first teasing glimmers of. Secondary goal.
Explore Duotrope; compile list of 25 paying short story/novella markets. This is pretty self-explanatory. I just want a source pool I can research in a couple of months, when the CCM winds down. Stretch goal.
Blogging: Revise/polish/package relevant blogposts in order to return to a regular blogging schedule. Designate reblogged/repurposed posts or work ahead to cover July’s schedule. Posting to par for the week thus far, with a post scheduled to post later in the week; last weekend post in development. Primary goal; solid progress.
Continue in Twitter #writingcrew and #AllStarTrek sprints/chats regularly. Dabble in other social media (LinkedIn, Medium, Quora, Wattpad) if/as desired. Sprint Wed. AM.; Chat. Wed/ Thu. AM. Stretch goal; solid progress.
Create a writing business plan using this excellent article by Angela Ackerman as a guide. Step 4/7 in progress; getting close to the end. Primary goal; very good progress.
- Assist my Accomplice with his labeling/branding/platform/marketing (if this is scary for me; it’s completely alien to him). Created a Facebook Business Page,signage, and two simple business cards. Attended local farmer’s market with him; first time. Will be updating/ adding as needed. Secondary goal; great progress.
Complete Build Your Marketing Muscles class; simmer; draft an action plan to apply what I’ve learned, and experiment with early changes/additions to my currently nearly non-existent “marketing plan.” Finished up all the course materials I missed during the “live” session. Simmering prior to beginning action plan. Stretch goal; solid progress.
Hometending: Spend time at least 5x/week in mindful cleaning and/or yardtending; complete all homeschool paperwork and testing; deal with subscriptions and other business that tends to get pushed aside; support other indie writers as I’m able. 2017-2018 Letters of Intent submitted; simmering IHIPs. Hometending 3/5. Lise testing completed; Miah in progress. Ran Twitter sprints for #JuNoWriMo.
Selftending: Spend time with my beloveds, friends, and myself; get at least one hour of physical activity 5x/week, and five hours of strenuous activity weekly (including Baby Steps to 5K); meditate and journal 8x/week. Meditation/journaling /8. Hour; /5; Strenuous: /5 hours.
Lifetending: Continue developing professional goals and connections; reading and audiobook listening, and The Star Trek Chronology Project. Onward w/group; #JuNoWriMo, Audiobook The Upside of Your Dark Side; chapter5/8 in progress. Read Journal Your Way to Your Writing Dreams; Crank It Out: 71%.