How do you know you’re making progress on your goals?
What does success mean to you?
At the beginning of the month,I was focused on two major writing goals: drafting a 65K novel, and finishing one already four-fifths complete, as my CampNaNoWriMo project, and writing an expanded story to post to fanfiction.net as companions to the vignettes I was posting for the #atozchallenge.
Over the last weeks, though, the fan fiction has risen to dominance. It’s not that I’m not also drafting, but more like a dam I’ve held for over three decades has burst, creating a new flood plain of possibilities I just can’t ignore.
I’m not going to finish these novels this month. Does that mean that I’ve failed at the goal?
But goals are a tool, a means we employ to attain a new objective. The drafting is a step toward the goal of publication. The fan fiction is publication. Not for profit – I don’t want to profit from Star Trek in a monetary sense! – but definitely publication on a larger scale than I’ve dared before.
For me, that’s more important than a specific goal.
It’s success, even if it isn’t exactly what I planned.
What do you think?
Is success meeting a goal exactly, or are goals simply one path to creating something you want in your life?
Draft A Rising Tide (Kifo Island Chronicles #4) for CampNaNoWriMo. Scene 11/24 in progress; 21,283/~65,000 words. Nothing new; consumed by fanfic. This goal will continue into May.
Write or adapt remaining A-Z Boldly Go expansion stories. Moving along here; Trip and T’Pol have lots to say, and they aren’t the shy, retiring type. 24/26;A- X drafted; Y in progress; Z simmering.
Foul Deeds Will Rise: Trueborn Weft Series #2: Finish this draft as part of Camp. Scene 40/50 in progress. Will begin once A Rising Tide is drafted – likely in early to mid May.
The IDIC Romance: Complete plot/pinch points for 26 stories stories, as needed to complete writing goal above.
Star Trek Enterprise: Watch episodes and clips needed to complete A-Z Challenge posts.
Keep eyes open; plan Story A Day May Kifo Island stories, purchase ebook if available before month’s end. (Xavier/Yvette/Zeke may be Tsunamis; Ubunta/Quincette/Aneesha may be The Far Shore.)14/31 in progress. Not sure how much detail I want in the planning; this may be enough.
Complete revisions for “Peach Liqueur Love”.
The IDIC Romance: Revisions as needed to complete writing goal above. Currently complete through X; 24/26 complete.
Answer blog comments and make visits, at least every other day. Daily or nearly so.
ROW80: Keep visits and updates current; draft, revise, and submit Round Two Sponsor Post. I am finally caught up; sorry that took so long!
Blogging From A-Z: Complete all Minioning duties in a timely manner. I, umm, forgot Tuesday. Catching up today, and intend to stay that way!
Maintain email at below 333 messages; making good use of folders. No problem here.
FanFiction.net: Answer story comments at least twice weekly. 1/2. And a new batch waiting!
- Homeschool Administration: Complete all pending paperwork. LOI correspondence awaiting final revision pass; Annalise’s IHIP proofed; Jeremiah’s moving through final revision.
- Continue decluttering/beautification projects; in home and/or yard, five days weekly. Continue making improvements to our home and our quality of life. General maintenance; yardtending (planting, weeding, and raking). 3/5.
Go through all online subscriptions; cancel those we no longer need; at least one each week.
Continue planning/ attending outings (personal and family) as desired. Plans to take my girl swimming and shopping on Thursday; attended Java’s write-ins and tai chi planned for me. =D
- NNWM local group: Attend write-ins regularly, and check in on the Facebook group as inspired, submit “Peach Liqueur Love”, and critique as possible for our small crit group. Write in at Denny’s. 1/ 2 current critiques completed; will do the second later this week.
- My beloveds: One on one time with each, doing something of value to us both, each week. Conversations; cuddling; canoodling; Mel Brooks; National Parks; kitten acquisition planning.
- Complete 1 pending book review. That would be the excellent Slave Again, by Alana Terry. One will break the ice.
Write in Abundance, Intentions, and #onegoodcup journals seven times each week. Meditate seven times weekly. Explore one new meditative practice. Journaling 3/7; meditation: 6/7.
Tai chi practice: One class and one at-home practice each week.
Swim twice, at least 500 meters (10 complete laps at Y pool). 1 /2.
- Focus on sprints of activity daily (hometending, dancing, tai chi, walking, whatever), and more strenuous activities I enjoy, like swimming and hiking, twice monthly. Hometending sprints, walking;raking. 4/2 strenuous; weeding/planting
Leaps of Faith:
Fan fiction stuff: Offer 26 stories at fanfiction.net. 31 /26 stories/chapters.
Play with website building. Brief exploration of Weebly’s site.
Initial beta reading of Stained by Ashes. Not sure I can get to this during April, which is why it’s here.
2016 Story A Day Prompts: Complete readthrough of book; mark typos; send back; draft review materials (Amazon and blog post); have all completed before April 23 (launch date) Blog post draft awaiting final revisions; I keep forgetting to finish it!
New: Read both candidates’ websites prior to Tuesday’s New York primary.
- New: Use standing desk one work session 3 days per week. 0/3.
The Writing Challenge That Knows You Have a Life!
Because how could I resist these two?