How do you feel about gratitude? If you’re American, how about Thanksgiving?
While I’ve been making a conscious effort to focus on gratitude for years – it’s even my theme for this round, after all – I’m more than a little ambivalent about the American celebration of Thanksgiving (for my international readers, it’s celebrated tomorrow, the last Thursday of November).
Because I know the history of my country. While I am profoundly grateful to have been born here, and to be raising my children, especially my daughter, in a ostensibly free and prosperous nation, I know that I have this privilege because my European ancestors took this land by force from those who already lived here, who had their own cultures, families, and lives…and then, to compound the destruction they wrought, their descendants shipped people in, crowded onto ships, chained and denied personhood…
I didn’t do any of these things, but that doesn’t negate that they were, in fact, done, and that the pain and wounding of them lingers…
To me, sitting around a table, and gearing up for a month of gluttonous consumption, seems more than a little insensitive, just like those pastuerized images of the happy natives and Pilgrims feasting together…
There’s more to every story.
That’s something I intend to keep in mind, through this season. I’m likely to write more about it, in the coming weeks, because ideas and insights are swirling and taking shape.
I wish you – all of you, wherever you are, and whomever you are – a life that comes with joy and reasons for deep gratitude, and deep compassion, as well.
NaNoWriMo: Complete draft of Sea Changes (Kifo Island Chronicles #3). Official end of 11/19 (and NaNo, for me) word count: 66,833, which is comparable to my other two KIC drafts. Backed up novel using redundant methods.
Foul Deeds Will Rise: Trueborn Weft Series #2: Resume and complete draft (currently on Scene 25/50). Goal adaptation: Continue this draft beginning 11/20. Pre-drafting reread of WIP and plotting outline for remaining scenes complete. 617 new words added – it’s a start! =)
The IDIC Romance: Choose one freewriting for each letter to develop into an A-Z post; make episode list for rewatching, and take notes as needed. Hey, #itswritingresearch! 26/26 letters completed.12/26 stories chosen (A-K;M); 9/26 episodes listed.
Star Trek Chronology Project: Watch first 10 chronological episodes from Season One of Star Trek (TOS). “Balance of Terror” and “What Are Little Girls Made Of?” (and more inconsistency in the chronology). 10/10 complete.
Publish all regular features posts; scheduling ahead where possible. Mindful Monday posted (a bit late) and WIPpet in progress; that’s forward momentum! =)
Catch up all blog comments and visits. A little stalled at the moment; Other Things took precedence.
ROW80: Keep visits and updates current. Yes and yes.
- Maintain email inbox below 333 messages. Current total 279 messages.
- Homeschool Administration: Complete all pending paperwork. Draft IHIPs and attend to district’s Peer Review issue.
- Get computer repaired!
- Continue decluttering/beautification projects; in home and/or yard, five days weekly. Continue making improvements to our home and our quality of life. 3/5; general hometending, on a minimal scale; Accomplice’s holiday work schedule has me feeling a little “off” so far this week.
Continue planning/ attending outings and events as desired. The girl and I headed out for a few pre-holiday necessities today. Tomorrow, we’ll continue our family tradition of going to a buffet restaurant where everyone can eat as they please.
- NNWM local group: Attend write-ins regularly, and check in on the Facebook and Twitter groups as inspired. Read and critique both projects I’ve been hanging onto. Doing a bit better overall; hoping to get to one of these critiques in the next couple of weeks.
Complete the two beta reads I’ve had waaay too long. Beta #2 complete through Chapter Four (p15/121).
- My beloveds: One on one time with each, doing something of value to us both, each week. Oh, yes! Lots of chatting, snuggling, sharing Internet links, TV together, and couples’ time.
- Complete 7 pending book reviews.
Write in Abundance,Intentions, and #onegoodcup journals seven times each week. Meditate seven times weekly, including one eating meditation. Explore one new meditative practice. 3/7 for journaling; 4/7 for meditation (qigong meditation at the end of tai chi).
T’ai chi practice: at home three times; class once or twice a week. Continue reading The Tai Chi Directory. Attended class on Tuesday, for the first time since late September. It felt soooo gooood! =D
- Make time for physical activity five days a week; use phone app to track three time a week. 2/5 for activity, including tai chi.
Leaps of Faith:
Poetry Chapbooks: Basic research and discussion ; simmering.
Website/Business blog: Brainstorming.
Fan fiction stuff
Self-publishing: Dipping my big toe into that something I was considering….stay tuned.