Welcome to WIPpet Wednesday, a weekly blog hop which encourages writers to move WIPs (works-in-progress) to publication by posting excerpts related to the date. It’s hosted by the lovely K.L. Schwengel, maven of bad boys, stock dogs, and flying monkeys! She may be less physically present for a bit, but she’s still our fearless shepherd…or something like that, anyway.
These stories are Star Trek: Enterprise fan fiction, dealing with the inter-species relationship between T’Pol, a Vulcan scientist, and Trip Tucker, the extremely human Chief Engineer…
- Trip, T’Pol, and Star Trek: Enterprise belong to Paramount, even if Paramount has forgotten all about them…
- This is an extrapolated “missing scene” story, detailing some of what might have happened during the months’ long and scarcely shown return to Earth in S2E26 “The Expanse”. Spoilers for that episode; mild spoilers for S2E1: Shockwave: Part II.
This snippet is rated PG-13 for adult language and situations.
This snippet follows a few paragraphs after Sticking to the Plan. Trip has gotten some very bad news from back home, and the ship is months away from Earth. Relieved of duty and out of options, he sees only one way to ease the pain – by getting good and drunk and staying that way.
- Today is May 20, 2015.
- I added the day (20), to its numerological value (2+0=2).
- 22 mostly drunkenly short, only marginally coherent sentences, where Trip trips all over his thoughts, and his room…
You look at the bottles. Never thought you’d go through so many. You never much liked to drink alone. Your eyes go to the picture. You tried turning it upside down; you tried to put it in a drawer. Three weeks is a long time to try not to look at something, when it’s all you can think about.
You’re tired. Exhausted. You stagger to your bed, pretending it’s not because you haven’t been sober since – awww, hell, since when? Since it had been long enough to be almost sure –
Almost. Filthiest word of ‘em all, almost. All. Most.
You fall on the bed; lie on your back, but the ceiling’s spinning. “Cap’n on the ceiling,” you say, and giggle. But it’s not funny, the spinning, any more than the Captain on the ceiling was for Miss Points’N’Logic. “She was my Cinderella. Now she’s the Evil Stepmother.”
Logic. Damn her. Damn logic, the dirty word.
Why is Trip drinking? What’s he trying so hard to not think about? Why doesn’t he want to see that picture?
And, maybe most importantly, where, oh, where, does he come up with these nicknames for T’Pol?!
Because, I gotta say, ‘Miss Points’N’Logic’ has got to be one of my all-time favorites!
What will happen next?
- There will be another post from the original story, Sticking Point for #8sunday.
- There’s now a sequel! In Pillow Talk? Trip wakes up in a compromising position…and that’s only the first surprise of this strange morning.
Looking for more WIPpet Snippets? Something less drunken, perhaps? Well, hop along with the little blue froggy; assorted genres, styles, and lengths of WIPpetty lily-pads to choose from! =D