ROWin’ through February….
So, I’ve got a question: Why do we Americans annually drag unsuspecting and hibernating rodents from their burrows or cages, and hold them over the ground to see if we can see their shadows?
I mean, isn’t this just a wee bit odd, as traditions go? Isn’t it really a weird thing to make even a nominal holiday out of?
Because I’m the type who likes to share…click the links, and learn more about a tradition rooted at nature, but which assumes that groundhogs actually look for their shadows and understand the concept of omens. Strange, that…
I don’t think any local groundhogs will be seeing their shadows in a snowstorm. Personally, I just think the poor beings ought to be left to their own sleepy natures – shadows or not, spring weather comes when it does, and no sooner or later than that.
In the meantime, it is February, so it’s time for a new set of goals. Many of these are continuations or expansions of my January goals; a few are new this month. I’ve color-coded the initial status of each; I’ll post a more detailed update on Wednesday, as my first regular February update.
blue with strikethrough.
Goals in progress: green.
And, for reference, here’s the bigger picture:
February Update #1:
Oregon Trip: Planning and execution.
Revisions: Chameleon’s Dish; The IDIC Romance.
Write1Sub1: TBD; “Slow Jazz Awakening”.
- Write rough draft – next chapter/story in “Monday Morning Coffee” series.
- February: Submit “Slow Jazz Awakening” to a fan fiction site TBD.
Kifo Island Chronicles:
- Complete rough draft of Terrance’s story (for Kifo Island Chronicles).
- Rewatch Season 1 of Star Trek: Enterprise; taking notes for Story -a-Day May.
- Review character backgrounds.
- Research fan fiction sites.
- Choose one for first submission.
- Submit first story, “Slow Jazz Awakening”.
A-Z travel posts:
- Create list of A-Z post topics.
- Write intro post.
- Make notes for all.
- Rough draft 13.
Trueborn Warp/Weft series:
- February: Review background information.
Write at least 750 words daily:
- Revise all midpoints for Chameleon’s Dish (2 scenes).
The IDIC Romance:
- “Slow Jazz Awakening” – Complete draft.
- “Vermilion Threads” – Create new compilation rough draft.
- “Slow Jazz Awakening” – Complete revision passes.
- “Peach Liqueur Love” Complete Deep Revision through Exercise 3.
- Choose story 4/5 for 2015 revision.
- Maintain regular posting schedule, comments, and visits.
Build blog queues:
- Write at least 1 Coffee and Conversation post.
- Write 1 “special” WIPpet.
Blogging Action Plan:
- Rough draft revision.
- Review Lovely Chaos Sidebar; make list of desired changes.
- Visit Facebook twice weekly.
- Visit Twitter thrice weekly.
- Visit at least one weekly.
Share posts – mine, and others’:
- Share 5 items a week.
Blog views and followers:
- Continue goal; increase to 50 (at least 10 times this month).
Family room reset:
- Clean the three toy bins (trains; gears; misc.).
- Clean the Lego and battle game drawers.
- Clean kitchen counter to left of sink.
- Rehome serving dishes.
Inhabit my study:
- Clean and organize floor.
- Clean, organize, and backup Writing Bullpen files‘; sort Leisure Time Reading file.
- Maintain inbox below 100 messages twice weekly.
- Begin second quarter homeschool reports for both kids, due March 15.
- Keep visits up-to-date.
- Make list of what needs doing.
- Make schedule for accomplishing list items.
- Do them.
- “Make it So!”
Write reviews for 2 books on my Writers I Know list, and post to Amazon.
NNWM local group:
- Continue attending write-ins whenever possible.
- Interact at least weekly online.
- Experiment with guided/unguided meditation at least once a week.
- Read 1 book from bedroom TBR pile.
- Make a list of goals to focus on, using the methods in this book.
- One on one time with each, at least five times each, doing something of value to us both.
Paying it Forward:
Complete at least two beta reads and promotional blog posts for other writers as requested.
Fitness and Nutrition:
- At the Y or a strenuous activity twice weekly.
- Wii Fit at least once weekly, for 15 minutes minimum.
Walk, dance, swim, or physical play:
- With children, spouse, and/or dog at least weekly.
- Attend a t’ai chi or yoga class.
Cooking/ Food Preparation:
- Develop two self-made food options that support my nutritional goals.
- Prepare repertoire food for myself at least weekly.
- Maintain weekly nutritional quotas; adapt as needed.
Maintain or reduce weight; continue monthly checks.
Take a ride on the ROWboat!