A weekly peek backwards and a look ahead, in my little corner of the blogosphere…
It’s been a bit of a chaotic spell here in my world. It’s been very cold, the last few days, and, on Wednesday night, our water froze – we have a well, and things like that can happen. We brought in a few gallons of water from the store, and then my Accomplice refilled it at work on Thursday. As I write this on Friday afternoon, we have water, but, as it gets colder tonight, we may lose it again, so I’m getting laundry and dishes done, and I’ll have a shower, soon, and make sure all of the backup jugs are refilled before dark, just in case.
It’s different, making the shift to no running water. Things done almost without thought – flushing, hand washing, brushing teeth- take on new proportions, and need to be thought through again, as I adapt to the situation.
And that’s good for my writing, and my living, because it stretches my mind in directions it might not ordinarily go. It’s also been a week of writing and living revelations…
On Thursday, Annalise and I celebrated her half-birthday with a lunch out at McDonald’s, because she was craving the fries, to the new pet store (she’s been with my Accomplice, but I hadn’t, yet), and to the grocery store to buy some celebratory cupcakes and cookies). Now she’s more than halfway through her tenth year, so I thought it would be fun to post pictures of our resident Force of Nature from now, and six months back…
- And now, on to the week’s goodies!
Last week in life:
- I’m settling into my new January goals, adapting to challenges and changes, and celebrating ten and a half years with the coolest girl I know! Oh, and writing and planning for a cross-continental vacation at the end of next month!
Recently at shanjeniah:
- My 2014 Writing Goals Update; When Trip met T’Pol, as a blitz poem; and T’Pol’s Got a Bathtub.
- Wandering around in my writing; I explore a writing prompt; things I plan to read.
- Consequences and Blue on Blue: Two wonderful Star Trek: Enterprise fan fictions from the Warp 5 Complex archives.
And now, last week’s features…
- Challenging My Preconceptions After They Challenged Me: A Redefining Disability Awareness Project 2014 Wrapup – what I learned, and am learning, about my own perceptions of what disability is.
- To Read, or Not to Read? Is There a Question?: A double-duty SoCS and JusJoJan post which explores reading, and the nature of learning, with a little help from the Bard.
- Building a Potent Reader:My parents built a house and an avid reader, simultaneously.
- If You Can Read This…: Does learning to read really require a teacher?
- Paper, or Kindle?: What’s your preferred reading method?
- Reading My Dream?:Yes, dreams can come true – reading my own story in print!
- Parental Reading Revolution: My reading evolves throughout this adventure called parenthood.
- To Read, or Not to Read? Is There a Question?: See SoCS, above, for description.
- ROW80 Round One 2015 began on January 5 – a busy few days of goal-setting and updating ensued.
- A Year of Exploration: 2015 Writing Goals: Just what it says – my annual goals!
- Round One Goals: Re-Visioning My Life: Round One goals intended to scaffold me toward the annual goals.
- January Goals: A Renewed Vision: The monthly goals (and progress!) toward the Round One goals, which go toward the 2015 goals…
- Revisions: I’ve got novel scenes; and three short stories slated for this month.
- Plotting and Planning: A-Z posts; short stories; two novels; and a novella.
- Oregon Trip: Lots to plan and do to get ready for our end-of-February vacation.
- Paying It Forward: Sponsor duties; beta-readings; and book reviews.
And on the blog:
- For Coffee and Conversation: Redefining Disability: An Interactive Blogging Project returns for a new year, and I explore Red Band Society.
- WIPpet Wednesday:“Extenuating Circumstances” – A little chat about marital status…Star Trek: Enterprise fan fiction, continued.
- Stream of Consciousness Saturday (SoCS), Another stream-of-consciousness novel excerpt based on the weekly prompt, TBA.
- ROW80 Updates: My progress on my January goals for A Round of Words in 80 Days;
- Just Jot It January: A daily post on the current prompt, all month long.
In the Wilds of Internet-Land:
- “Dear Friends and Family”: A Love Letter to Annual Letters: Gretchen Wing has some things to say about those holiday missives. I posted this last week, but neglected to add the appropriate links – whoops!
- Your Pit Bull: Rkeland at The Dad Letters this touching letter about a rescue dog who was far more than she seemed.
- Leonardo da Vinci Handwriting Generator.
- Revising, planning, family, and hometending seem to be the order of the week to come. What do you have on your calendar for the week?
Want to join in on the Second Serving Sunday fun? Here’s how!