Well, here we are. A brand-new month, the first in a brand-new year. And for the first year since I began writing seriously in 2009, I ended 2014 with no “hanging” novel drafts.
I wrote the last line of Perchance to Dream with three minutes to spare, then went to ring in a new year with my three beloveds.
And then….well, I got just a little lost.
Always happens, when I finish a draft, and this time, it’s amplified – because I finished The Earth Doth Move, and scarcely took time for a breath and the requisite hot shower before diving headlong into PTC, because I really wanted to get it finished too….
Because I’ve been flooded with story worlds since November 1, and, although I’ve got the feeling that I’ve just completed the literary (OK, Star Trek fan fiction, but my fan fiction is GOOD – just as important to me as my original work) Iron Man competition, and I’m tired….
I’m not sure I’m ready to stop swimming in those flood waters yet…it gets to be a habit, after a while, and the current is strong….
I’ll need some time to adjust to a less intensive writing pace.
I’m giving myself till the beginning of the next round of ROW80, which begins on Monday. I’m not going to stop doing my writerly things – I don’t want to! But I will be easing into a more revision-oriented place, until the next writing surge comes to swallow me up from April-July…
So, I’m going to use this as something of an R and R time – to wrap up, catch up, indulge, dream and scheme, and tend to a few things that have been waiting in the wings.
I may do some or all of the following:
- Read Enterprise fan fiction (already started; #itswritingresearch)
- Make progress on travel plans
- Write ROW80 goals and sponsor posts
- Write 2 RDAP posts
- Begin first beta read
- Resume revisions for Chameleon’s Dish (pending title change?)
- Answer comments and visit blogs
- Write ideas for next volume (s) in the Trueborn Warp Series, while the last two WIPs are fresh in my mind
- Set Round 1 and January goals
- Sort Kifo Island Chronicles into novella threads.
- Plan and sign up for various 2015 challenges
- Hometending and family stuff
- And just be….
That seems like a pretty exhaustive list…but I like big lists and I cannot lie!
Well, so far, of those above goals for the next few days, I’ve managed to:
- I spent the entire night until 10am, reading fanfic.
- I slept until after 5pm, and woke to a much cleaner abode, and food cooking. Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate my Accomplice in Mischief, and how he accepts my often outrageously nocturnal ways?
- Inadvertently wrote what might be most of a ROW80 sponsor post, while answering blog comments (that’s a twofer!).
- Thought vaguely about the RDAP posts I want to write.
- Began plowing through a 490 message email backlog to find the beta read.
- Pulled up the Scrivener file for Chameleon’s Dish; srolled and skimmed blankly, retaining nothing…so it’s clearly not time for that one yet…
- A few blog comments and visits made…
- Reread some bits and pieces of the two Warp Series WIPs I just finished drafting. Nothing new written, but churning with ideas.
- Made progress with 2015 and Round 1 goalsetting.
- Began sorting KIC stuff into novella threads (I think three character focuses per book). Eight existing POV characters assigned; 1 more to write.There are 26 existing characters, so that’s a good start.
- Looked at Write 1 Sub 1. I think my challenges are set, at least for January.
- Hometending and family stuff. Not much hometending; I’ve helped keep the fire going. Lots of family connection when individual orbits intersect; we’re all doing our own things, today…
Now, I’m watching season 4 of Enterprise (#itsstillwritingressearch!), and just remembered that one of the challenges I signed up to do was Just Jot It January, and I almost forgot about the very first post! So, guess what?
This is it – this rather free-form, jumbled, distracted, overtired despite seven hours of sleep (that’s a lot for me!) type of post…
A peek, maybe, into the head of a writer who just reached a long-anticipated personal finish line, and the deep exhale that accompanies it. An easing into a new year, and a new focus.
Or just the dribble and drabble leaking out of my sleepy, wandering, wondering mind as it resets itself, to something new.
And Happy 2015 to you! =D