A weekly peek backwards and a look ahead, in my little corner of the blogosphere…
Did you miss me last week? I know, I kinda disappeared. You see, the dog ate my homework – uh – Windows hiccupped, and gobbled up my post just as I was finishing it (All. Those. Links!). I wanted to rewrite it, but Windows also swallowed Annalise’s homeschool reports, and, well – those are required by law, so…
I’m here, now, though, and I’ll be saving frequently, in case Windows decides to spring any more ambushes on me. The reports are nearly done, so…let’s have a Second Serving of the last two weeks, shall we?
Things will be a little abbreviated this week, so that there’s room for everything…
Recently at shanjeniah:
- Memories of #notbacktoschool, the year Annalise was kindergarten-eligible, but stayed home instead; getting A Round Tuit (or 33 of them!); an Enterprise fan fiction excerpt from The IDIC Romance; and a boy on the edge of adolescence. Also, romance, characters with their own ideas, and a Big Adventure on my horizon. And happy homeschoolers; my photo-essay from when Lise was 5; and some cool apps to play with.
- Is Teenage Rebellion a Given?: On the eve of our eldest reaching adolescence, I consider this question, and why I don’t think it is…hint -it has more to do with parental perception than kids’ actions…
- Let’s Talk About Sex!: Attending a World Sexual Health Day Celebration was inspiring, and shifted my perceptions. Now, I want to talk about sex, and I’d love to hear what you have to say, too!
- Small Steps: Trip and T’Pol make tentative moves toward mutual – understanding. Yes, let’s call it that. 😉
- Closing the Gap: And they come closer, and closer, and…
- Both snippets based on the Star Trek: Enterprise series pilot, Broken Bow, Part 1.)
- Re-Creation Recreation: I use the prompt – the prefix “re” – to contemplate changes and opportunities than stemmed from my choice to rename myself.
- What’s So Funny About Prejudice? I use the prompt – the word “funny” – to explore the ways humor can broaden perception and challenge prejudice without preaching.
- Stretching Into September: In which I prepare to become the mother of a teen, to go on a grand adventure, and shift my goals for September.
- Stretching Into Bigness: Celebrating the new teen in my life, looking forward to an adventure, and, of course, stories happened!
- A Daring Stretch: Big doings in the big city; big steps forward, and writing stuff, too!
- A Laid-Back Stretch: After all the excitement, some tugboats and some mellower progress.
My focus for September is on revising my time-travel fantasy novel, Chameleon’s Dish, set in the 1612-13 London area. I’m also drafting another WIP, Perchance to Dream, a Star Trek: TOS/ Enterprise fanfiction novel, and the second half of a duology. Since homeschool administration is winding down- reports are due tomorrow – I’ve started the early stages of planning for my NaNoWriMo project, King of Infinite Space, a Star Trek: TOS/Enterprise crossover fan fiction which is the companion novel for my existing fantasy WIP, Blood and Breath.
- For Coffee and Conversation, I’ll be joining in on Cate Russell-Cole’s Inspiring Spaces Blog Hop, with a peek at my inspiring space in transition; my study – a tiny little oasis – in – transition in the midst of the lovely chaos of our lives.
- WIPpet Wednesday will host another excerpt from my Story a Day May exploration, The IDIC Romance – I’ll be picking up where I left off last week, with “Collision Course”, the twelfth installment of Tigress T’Pol”. Trip might just have his hands full – of a very lovely, very amorous Vulcan scientist named T’Pol!
- And for Stream of Consciousness Saturday (SoCS), I’ll be doing just what the title suggests – writing a stream-of-consciousness post on the weekly prompt.
- ROW80 Updates: Sunday and Wednesday are my days for updating my goals progress for A Round of Words in 80 Days.
In the Wilds of Internet-Land:
- Inspiring Spaces Blog Hop: Sharing this here, too! Come check us out if you enjoy peeking at where writer-types make their magic happen!
- Because fall is in the air here in upstate New York, and we’ll soon turn our thoughts to apple-picking and baked treats, I offer this Apple Upside-Down Skillet Cake recipe, which I found over at A Hundred Years Ago. If you’re into history through ephemera, check out this site!
- As those who read here regularly will know, we’re an unschooling family. This article, How Do Unschoolers Turn Out? at Mind/Shift, explores the lives of adult unschoolers. Hint – we’re still unschooling, and the future looks bright!
- More writing, revising, and planning, more homeschool stuff, even more decluttering, hometending, and yardtending…and lots of living and blogging.
- World Sexual Health Day in NYC! I won an Honorable Mention in the national writing contest with this post, and came away with a new perspective on sexuality!
- Tugboat Roundup, a chance to explore the famous Erie Canal, shop local, and enjoy a lovely late-summer day.
What’s been going on with you lately? What are your plans for the coming week?